Chapter Twenty: Fireflies and Memories (I1B0C20)
Chapter Twenty: Fireflies and Memories
“People
have been doing what you’re doing since the beginning of time. You’re nothing
special. Everyone believes their actions are justified. Every man who’s
ever become a monster believed at some point that they’re a murderer with good
intentions. But murder is still murder no matter how you disguise it. There is
no difference between us,” said the familiar voice of the swordsman.
Ashes and cinders drifted faintly in the air as the weak
breeze swept through the city streets. The glow of smoldering flames reflected
on the white walls of the canyon, staining the starlit city with a beautiful
light. The houses behind Hatasuko and Vaida had been reduced to embers. He
stood in front of her with his sword in one hand and his shield in the other.
He did not watch the cinders as they drifted by. He did not watch the fireflies
as they flew calmly over rooftops. Instead, his golden eyes glared at the other
Astrodeus, standing alone in the street ahead. Though he could not see Vaida,
he felt her left hand shake as she held it on his back.
“Do
I have your attention now, Vaida? You must have forgotten. Surely you must have
forgotten. But every memory leaves a scar, and you know as well as I do that
scars aren’t something you can just shut away. You are marked forever; you were
marked just for me. Maybe I wasn’t strong enough before, but now I’m the
strongest man in the world,” Harvey announced with a twisted smile as he stood
in the ash-stained street.
Vaida’s
fingertips dug into his back. Hatasuko felt her body tremble. Since he had
thought that Harvey killed himself back in Bones City, he was shocked by the
villain’s identity. He never imagined that Harvey was the one following them
through the cities, watching them, studying them. He never imagined that Harvey
would discover the secrets of black fire.
With
a furious glare, Hatasuko yelled, “Did you kill all these people just to get
back at Vaida? You slaughtered an entire village! How could you possibly—”
Harvey
interrupted and said, “Don’t you dare judge my reasons. At some point, we all
come to realize that the only thing that actually matters is action. Intentions
are worthless! Words are meaningless. Reasons are empty. Outside the scope of a
single person, actions are the only thing that change anything. I don’t care at
all why the Interfecti slaughter our cities. I doubt anyone has
ever questioned their intention, because no one cares about their intention. It doesn’t change the circumstance! No
matter why it kills us, the Interfectus still kills us. No matter why I killed
these people, the only thing that matters is I did. Just like you. You’re a
killer, and I’m a killer. There’s no such thing as a murderer with good
intentions. Your good intentions don’t make you more righteous, and more
importantly, they won’t make you stronger.”
With
a sword in one hand and a small axe in the other, Harvey stepped toward his two
enemies. When his giant foot hit the ground, it left a small crater in the
street that a human foot could never cause. His face shone from the glow of the
flames and stars. His brown hair flickered in the ashy breeze.
Hatasuko
separated himself from Vaida and slowly approached the other Astrodeus. As he
walked, he heard anxious yells from the tempest in his mind. He heard
frightened whispers coming from nearby homes as people watched the two giants
approach.
Hatasuko
said, “Maybe it doesn’t matter to the world, but it matters to me. If you went
through all this to hurt Vaida—”
“You
truly are a buffoon, you know that? Even someone as lovesick as me had to
realize that she’d never be mine. After how heartlessly she tossed me away, I
decided I wouldn’t take her even if I could! She locked my heart and left it to
rot, but it makes no difference anymore; an Astrodeus has no heart. So
as I kill her, as soon as I remove all evidence that I was ever weak to begin
with, I can finally be free from her. I’ll pay any cost to make it
happen. I lost my whole life because of her,” Harvey retorted.
“Vaida,
I want you to stand back for this. I may possess the strength of judgment, but
we don’t know his Astrodeus power. He’s deranged! Anyone who’s ever hurt you
deserves nothing but the ultimate punishment. Anyone who threatens you must be
purged from this world,” Hatasuko said.
As fireflies quietly buzzed in the sky, Hatasuko and
Harvey stepped within striking distance with their swords drawn. Harvey lunged
forward, lowered himself, and swung his sword at a high speed. Since he had no
time to block or jump, Hatasuko threw himself backward, narrowly dodged, and
counterattacked with a clumsy slash. Instead of dodging, Harvey blocked the
sword with the small blade of his axe; their weapons clashed with a bright blue
spark. Harvey then counterattacked by jumping in the air, splitting his legs,
and kicking Hatasuko in the face. The impact sent him stumbling backward.
Hatasuko
shook his face to ward off the pain, but then Harvey attacked with a diagonal
slash. With a grunt, Hatasuko pulled his shield up and blocked the sword, but
the impact still knocked him back. When Harvey lunged forward with a quick high
stab, Hatasuko activated his power and swung his sword with a booming
shockwave. His body shone for this attack, but he ultimately missed; he had
attacked too soon to strike his enemy. However, the powerful airwaves halted
Harvey and sent him stumbling backward in the dirt street. Though he hated
wasting quintessence on a failed attack, Hatasuko knew that his might slash had
turned the tide in this fight.
Taking
the offensive, Hatasuko charged after Harvey, slashed left, slashed again, and
then tried a swift forward lunge; Harvey barely escaped by running backward.
After the third strike missed, Harvey used his strong left arm to throw his
small axe. With a flinch and a jump, Hatasuko lifted his shield to block the
axe, but Harvey had planned this. Having emptied his left hand, Harvey aimed it
forward and activated his Astrodeus power.
With a flash of bright light, Harvey unleashed several
energy beams from the palm of his left hand. The energetic rays of light shone
so bright that Hatasuko saw them through his black shield. In a quarter of a
second, an energy beam struck his stomach and exploded on impact. Sweltering
flames scoured his skin; the power of the explosion threw him backward with his
ears ringing. Pain paralyzed him as he flew through the air; he slammed onto
the ashes and rolled to a stop. As he rolled, he heard other energy beams
strike the dirt street; every beam erupted with a geyser of bright flames.
“Vaida,
where are you?! Are you okay?!” Hatasuko yelled, throwing his head over his
shoulder, fighting back the searing pain of the attack he had just taken.
Vaida
crouched in the street behind him on a foot and a knee. She held her black
shield in front of her. Smoke lifted from the shield, but the blasts had not
hit her. Hatasuko glanced down and saw that his shirt had been destroyed. Smoke
stains and painful welts scattered his skin. As he stood back up, his whip fell
into the cinders. Vaida ran up to his side and held her shield, covering the
part of his body that he could not protect with his own shield. With frantic
eyes, she pressed her scarred hand onto his wound.
“Hatasuko,
please don’t interfere in my fight. Please don’t risk yourself,” she said.
“That
isn’t an option. Not only is he an architect of misery, but he’s also trying to
kill you. This is my fight just as much as it is yours.”
“But
there’s no reason for you to join me in my nightmares! Not in this one or any
other. I know you want to save me from my misery, pointless as that may be, but
I’m not in any real danger. This isn’t real, Hatasuko; it can’t be! It’s
an ugly nightmare. One of many! I’ve been fighting these for all my life, and I
will fight this too,” said Vaida as the breeze carried ashes through the
starlit street.
“Wait,
what? No, Vaida, this isn’t an illusion. This isn’t—”
But
Harvey interrupted their conversation with another activation of his power. He
fired a bright burst of energy streams which shot across the street. From this
cluster, two blindingly bright beams struck their Interfectus shields. Just as
before, each energy beam erupted with a massive blast; the impact sent them
both flying backward. Hatasuko grabbed Vaida in midair so that she would not
fly far, but he had to drop his sword to make this happen.
“Let
go; I have a plan!” Vaida said in midair.
Right
before Hatasuko would have landed in a pile of smoldering shambles, he threw
Vaida so that she could land safely in the ashy street. She spun in midair,
landed backward on her heels, jumped again, did two backward cartwheels, and
slowed herself to a stop by skidding on both feet. With smoke lifting from her
shield, Vaida swung it around and clasped it on her shoulders. A split-second
later, she unsheathed her swords, and then she raced across the smoky clearing
toward her enemy.
When Harvey had fought Hatasuko, he wore a twisted grin
the entire time. But as Vaida approached, all signs of happiness were extinct.
His dark blue eyes turned solemn. His brown hair ruffled in the breeze as he
glared at the running swordswoman. Her little feet dashed agilely down the
street, dodging every crater or shamble in her path.
“Vaida,
do you really think this is an illusion? Are you really that afraid of me?
How can fear something you created?!” Harvey demanded.
When
Vaida ran onto the street where Harvey held his sword high, she noticed that
the buildings were intact on both sides of the street. Harvey lifted his giant
left hand and aimed at her. Vaida lunged leftward, jumped forward, slammed her
feet against the wall of a house, and kicked off it as he unleashed his
Astrodeus power. Several energy streams shot out from his hand, milliseconds
apart, all barreling toward her. But because she had jumped higher than he
expected, she soared over several bright beams which struck the buildings
behind her.
The
energy streams exploded all at once, and the fiery shockwaves forced her to fly
faster. Once her running feet struck the ground at a high speed, Vaida jumped
again, this time twisting and kicking off a wagon on the right side of the
street. Though he had the opportunity, Harvey did not use his power to attack
again.
After
Vaida landed, she lunged at him with a swift right stab. Harvey jumped to the
side and clashed his blade with hers, but Vaida was much faster; she swung her
left sword and tore a shallow gash in his stomach. With all the force in his
extraordinary arm, Harvey swung his sword in a quick counterattack; Vaida threw
herself back since she could not block his strength. When her feet landed, she
did an agile second jump. She landed in between Harvey and the building that he
had refused to attack earlier. Harvey glanced down at the palm of his left hand
and sighed; he once again chose not to blast in this direction.
“I
didn’t create this, and I didn’t create you! I’m not guilty of anything. It’s
not my fault you fell in love with me! I can’t say I understand it. I can
say I wish it never happened. I wish I never knew you. I wish you never
happened,” said Vaida.
“Are
you really so delusional that you’d just forget the good times we shared? Can
you really pretend that those memories mean nothing?” he demanded.
Vaida
shook her head and answered, “No, Harvey… I can’t. I couldn’t pretend that.
Those memories are untainted by the man you became. The sweet boy you used to
be, the only friend that this hopeless burned girl had—he will not be
forgotten. When I was in that hospital, when half my body was totally burned,
you saw me and you cried! You held me in your arms and cried for me. You were
screaming when they took me away. I’ll never forget. I’ll never forget that you
were the only thing I had left. The only one who kept me going. Those memories
are beautiful, but they’re also heartbreaking. After everything you said and
everything you did, it only proves that my pain is contagious. Somehow, I
turned that sweet crying boy into a monster, just like me. You’re as scarred on
the inside as I am on the outside. So this hopeless burned girl lost her
friend, and now my favorite memories torment me in my dreams.”
A firefly landed on the rooftop of a nearby building. Its
orange glow illuminated a small sphere of light around its body. The insect was
undaunted by the wind and the smoke. Another firefly landed beside it, but the
second was dim, visible only because of the first one’s glow.
“Then
this sentimentality will be your downfall. I am an Astrodeus, I am heartless,
and I am unrestrained by those poisonous memories. I have risen beyond my
struggle,” Harvey declared.
“That’s
why I know this is a nightmare. Just a vile dream—an evil illusion in my head.
This just doesn’t make any sense! You’re angry at me, not the world.”
“Did
you completely ignore what I said to the usurper?! I made it clear to him that
I’m fine with being a villain; titles never mattered to me. Morals never
mattered to me. The only thing that’s ever mattered is you. A future of you and
me—that’s the only thing that means anything! The only reason I wasn’t a killer
before is that I had no reason to kill. But now that it serves me, nothing can
stop me. You’re the only one who mattered to me, and so I must do this.
I must kill you so that I can be free from you. So that I can have
myself back. After all, nothing can stop me,” Harvey explained as the flames
illuminated his face.
With
a sudden kick off the wall behind her, Vaida lunged at her former friend and
unleashed a high right slash. Harvey spun his wrist and swung his sword to
block hers. When their swords clashed, she ducked beneath the blades and swung
her left sword at his ankles. Harvey jumped over the sword, landed a second
later, and then hopped backward while lifting his left hand.
Vaida
saw an opportunity, so she lunged forward and slashed the tip of her blade at
his left hand. With a quick spin and a swing, Harvey dodged her attack and
knocked the sword out of her right hand; her weapon struck a smoke-stained wall
and fell to the street. Harvey then counterattacked by lunging forward with a
straightforward stab. Vaida let out a quiet scream, jumped back, and knocked
the blade off course with her left sword.
Right after their swords clashed, Harvey charged closer,
pulled his knee up, and slammed it into Vaida’s chin; the impact sent her
flying backward. She crash-landed in the dirt street, stumbled twice as she
tried to stand, and glanced up to see Harvey running at her. She jumped to her
feet, twisted halfway around, and blocked his sword with the shield on her
back. The impact sent her stumbling, and once she was far from the building
Harvey had refused to strike, he lifted his left hand and activated his power.
Right
before Harvey would have bombarded Vaida with energy streams, Hatasuko crashed
his glowing sword into the ground with earthshaking speed. Though he was almost
a block away, the impact summoned shockwaves that forced the whole canyon to
tremble. Hatasuko knew that this would inconvenience the people of Lumipyla,
but the shaking ground forced Harvey to stumble. This knocked the palm of his
left hand off-center, and so his energy beams shot off into the sky. The
flashing light was so bright that all fighters looked away. When the high-speed
streams struck the distant canyon walls, broken stones rained down.
Even
with the world shaking under their feet, Vaida dashed toward her former friend
with her sword held steady. Harvey was blinded by the brightness of his own
attack, leaving her with an opportunity. But when Vaida swung her sword with
all her strength, a nearby window shattered. A small force-field materialized
in the space between her sword and Harvey’s arm. Her weapon bounced off the
floating barrier, and then Harvey counterattacked with a spinning kick.
Vaida
let out a pained grunt as she flew backward, but Hatasuko caught her before she
hit the ground. He stepped in front of her with his sword in one hand and a
rock in the other. All three combatants stayed silent, listening as a fourth
fighter emerged from the building that Harvey had spared.
Another
Astrodeus jumped out of the broken window and landed on the street. He clenched
a massive halberd between his two hands. This Astrodeus calmly walked across
the glass and ashes until he stood at Harvey’s side. The glow of flames and
fireflies illuminated both Astrodei. The new Astrodeus was slightly shorter and
thinner than Hatasuko, whereas Harvey was larger in every regard, but their
sizes were all relatively close.
“Who
is this, Harvey? I thought you said no one matters to you except Vaida,”
Hatasuko yelled out.
The
other Astrodeus laughed and said, “He didn’t want to reveal his teammate before
it was necessary! That would just be wasteful. Besides, Harvey isn’t equipped
to take a city this large all by himself. The two of us will split the task and
the spoils.”
“That
is correct. After my second rejection in Bones City, after you and Vaida made
it clear that I could never have her, I realized that I was standing at a
crossroads. There was no way I could coexist with the girl who had done this to
me. I thought that this meant I should take my own life as my only escape from
unrequited love, but Spencer saved me before I could end it. He’s the one who
showed me the truth of this situation. It’s because of him that I know
one of us must die. When I told him I would set out on the journey to make it
happen, he demanded to join me. He would not let me leave without him,” Harvey
explained.
Hatasuko listened closely as he stood in front of Vaida.
She trembled as she stood with her scarred hand on his back. She peeked her
left eye out from behind his left shoulder, inspecting the two Astrodei.
“Hatasuko,
this isn’t a nightmare, is it?” Vaida whispered.
“It
is not. I hate to say it, but this is real. Our enemies are human, or at least
they were once human, and this fight is definitely real. That village
has actually been burned. Scores of people have actually been killed,” Hatasuko
said, clearly but bitterly.
As
the stars pulsed down on her dark hair, Vaida grabbed his left arm with her
right hand. He felt the rough skin of her burn scars rubbing against him.
Though the four fighters stood in a standoff, she felt a surge of memories
interrupt her consciousness. She remained on her feet, but she became
unresponsive.
***
“Harvey, do you ever think about the
Interfectus? I don’t mean the night when it attacked… I don’t want to talk
about that. But, um, do you ever wonder why it acts the way it does? Why does
it kill? Was it really sent by God? I don’t understand,” Vaida asked her
friend.
Vaida and Harvey watched as the breeze
picked up in the street by the orphanage. Though her model sail-rana was small,
its large sail caught the wind. The miniature vehicle rolled slowly along the
ground. She smiled and walked behind it while Harvey followed closely.
“I
don’t wonder because I don’t care. Nothing can change what it did. No one gave
them permission or anything, but they still attack cities. They still kill
people. I don’t care about that. I just hate the Interfecti for what they did
to you. I’m gonna become big and strong, then I’ll never let them hurt you
again.”
Harvey caught up to Vaida and wrapped
his arms around her. She stopped walking and returned his embrace, though she
watched her boat sail on. While she had already decided to leave Bones City,
this embrace made her reconsider her decision. She felt warm and safe in his
arms, but the warmth could not stop the crushing memories from playing in her
head. This embrace could not undo the words of the children in the orphanage;
she could not free her mind from their judgments and insults. Even in this
embrace, she shivered as the pain came rushing back in. The children were
viciously mean, but the adults said the same things silently with their shifty
stares.
“I know you feel empty. You always seem
down or hurt, but now it’s deeper than that. Are you alright? Please talk to
me. I want to be here for you,” Harvey whispered to her.
“Their insults are the only shield I
have. When I hear what they say, I can forget about the fire. At least for a
second, I can forget about the night I lost everything. Instead of watching
memories, I can just stand in silence and hate myself. It’s refreshing! Like a
daydream in a nightmare. I think I’ve relied on their insults to keep me
distracted! Just long enough to make something that matters. If I was left
alone with my memories, blaming myself for his death like every night in the
hospital, then there would be no Vaida. Not anymore,” she said to him as she
slowly stopped shaking.
As silent storm clouds slowly crossed
the starry sky, the streets of Bones City gradually grew dimmer. The westward
wind started to die down, and so the model sail-rana rolled to a stop near the
end of this street. Vaida let go of Harvey and walked after her little vehicle.
“So are those your only options? Get
insulted or relive your pain? That’s not okay! I’m so tired of seeing you in
pain,” he called after her.
After she picked up the little model,
Vaida turned back to face Harvey. Small droplets of rain fell from the clouds
and sprinkled the dirt road.
“I feel like I’m locked in place,
Harvey. One eye can only see the past.”
“Then keep the other eye on me. I’ll
always be here.”
***
Vaida
shook herself free from her memories. As she stepped back into consciousness,
she saw red marks on Hatasuko’s arm beneath her fingertips. She had dug her
fingers into him during her trance. She then looked out from behind him. As she
glared at Harvey with her one seeing eye, she realized that in a way, he still
resembled the sweet boy from her memory. Though his body was now massive,
muscular, and stained with ashes, his glowing face resembled her former friend.
As
the last of the memory fog cleared from her eyes, Vaida noticed that the glow
of fireflies reflected in the wet blood on Hatasuko’s body. He glared silently
at the other two Astrodei. All was motionless for almost a minute, until Harvey
threw himself backward and lifted his left hand.
Hatasuko
activated his power first, forced his left arm to glow, and then catapulted his
rock at a near-supersonic speed. In any other circumstance, this rock would
have inflicted tremendous damage before anyone would even hear the boom, but
Spencer was familiar with this technique. Therefore, he materialized an energy
barrier to deflect the rock; it struck the barrier and crumbled into gravel. As
Spencer upheld this barrier with his power, Hatasuko saw a faint glow encase
his enemy’s body.
The barrier disappeared as fast as it appeared, and then
Harvey activated his Astrodeus power. Hatasuko and Vaida threw themselves on
the ground to dodge his energy beams; they both landed on their backs and
rolled so that the shields on their backs faced Harvey. As the cluster of
blinding energy streams struck the ashes and shambles, Vaida slammed her eyes
shut and felt the shockwaves jostle the ground. A single stream struck the
ground by Hatasuko, exploded with a burst of flames and dirt. He protected Vaida
with the shield on his back, but he knew that they were pinned. Harvey could
attack again at any moment.
“Vaida,
is it okay if I kill him? I need to know. I have the reason to do it. I have
the power to do it. But do I have your permission?” Hatasuko asked as he pulled
his black shield forward.
Through
the light of the stars and the flickering flames, Vaida glared at the distant
face of her enemy. She could still see the face of the boy who had held her in
the hospital, crying as he hugged her, screaming as she was taken away. A pang
of sorrow struck her heart, but it was overruled when she remembered what he
had done to her in Bones City. She made up her mind as she smelled the stench
of burning bodies in the smoky air.
“It’s
not my decision. He sealed his own fate when he became a murderer. He is a
monster who terrorizes the innocent. It is our duty to stop him,” she answered,
though her quiet, shaky voice revealed her ambivalence.
As
he climbed to his feet, Hatasuko said, “I’m sorry that it’s come to this. I
know this feels like a nightmare. I know it feels like everything in the world
is working against us, but it won’t be long. It won’t be long until we’ve
purged them. It won’t be long until every Interfectus falls at the feet of my
judgment. It won’t be long until our fight ends, and then we can sail away from
the shore of Bones City. You and I can live forever on the rocky islands.
That’s the future you deserve; that’s the future I will give you.”
“I
can already taste the ocean air. I can already smell the albapomus trees. I
force myself to imagine it every time I close my eyes. It’s all I can do. This
life needs me to kill the only friend that that little hopeless burned girl
ever had. My nightmares continuously replay the night my world ended in fire.
These daydreams are all I have, and I only have them because of you. I only
have anything because of you,” Vaida whispered as she stood back up.
“Then
let’s go, Vaida. Let’s take them down. Let’s purge the world of misery.”
Despite
their bruises and exhaustion, Hatasuko and Vaida ran together toward their
enemies. He slowed himself down so that she could keep up. When Vaida stepped
onto the same block as her enemies, she lunged forward, twisted, and hurled a
rock with all her strength. It flew at Spencer, but he did not create a barrier
to block it. Instead, he lurched to the left, dodged the rock, kicked off the
wall of a building, and lunged at Hatasuko while swinging his halberd.
Caught
off-guard, Hatasuko jerked his shield to block the swinging halberd. As sparks
flew overhead, he then ducked and counterattacked with a quick sword lunge, but
Spencer blocked it with the shaft of his halberd. Vaida charged at Spencer’s
side with a swift sword slash, but he blocked her blade with a glowing barrier.
As
if the energy from Vaida’s attack transferred into his body, Spencer swung his
halberd so swiftly that the hilt-blade plunged into Hatasuko’s stomach. Spencer
then jumped up and kicked his shield, knocking him back and ripping out the
blade. Vaida tried to retaliate with a swift low slash, but Spencer clashed his
halberd against her sword. A spark flew into the air, Spencer jumped away from
his enemies, and then Harvey unleashed his power from a short distance.
Hatasuko
crouched and pulled his shield upright. Vaida threw herself behind him and held
on as the energy streams flew around them. Harvey then moved his left hand and
aimed at the smoke-stained buildings right beside them. His streams detonated
instantly, and the buildings blew apart with bursts of wood and fire. Shambles
and debris flew from every burst and rained down upon the street. Though it did
not sound like anyone in the buildings had died in this blast, Vaida winced
from Harvey’s pointless destruction. Like the Interfecti, he was exploiting
their obligation to safeguard the innocent.
The
building was too damaged to uphold its own weight, and so it collapsed on
itself with a burst of smoke and sparks. As a cloud of black smoke engulfed
Hatasuko and Vaida, who were both trapped between Spencer and Harvey, she
stared somberly at her former friend. Sparks and fireflies flew through the
smoky air. Bittersweet memories hung in the air like these glowing lights. But
the lights were transient; the happy memories were ephemeral. The sparks faded
from the air, and the fireflies chose to dim their lights one-by-one.
Comments
Post a Comment